Thursday, December 10, 2015

Trying something new

It has become (painfully) apparent that my personal bible reading/study has been suffering neglect for the better part of the last couple of years. I've been busy, and in an irresponsible manner, my meditation and study time has been pushed to the outer margins of my schedule. As this year is closing, and with it my educational journey ending (hooray), I'm convicted that now is the time to face the problem.
Today, I'm starting a new journey. I have always wanted (always= for a couple years) to journal my way through the bible, including hand-writing the scriptures out in their entirety, and then jotting down a few thoughts about the passage. I always thought it'd be a great way to become more intimately involved with the words themselves, aiding me in the realm of memorizing the word while improving my meditation. So, that's what I did this morning... and it was pretty dang good. But as I finished, I felt a desire that I should really go one deeper step. I should type it out as well. Just to get one more deeply, intentional run through the text... so, that's why I'm back here today. And, why I hope to be back here on a more regular basis. I figure that I may as well share this process with any of you who find your way here, who knows, maybe it'll help encourage someone else. So, after that rambling introduction, here's to a new journey:

Romans 1:1-7 ESV
Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God, which he promised beforehand through his prophets in the holy Scriptures, concerning his Son, who was descended from David according to the flesh and was declared to be the Son of God in power according to the Spirit of holiness by his resurrection from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord, through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith for the sake of his name among all the nations, including you who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.

-- Paul: called, set apart; Apostle
-- Gospel of God: promised in the Old Testament scriptures; prophesied; revealing the Son
--Son: David's descendant, fulfilling those prophesies of the Old Testament; further and fully declared via his resurrection, by the power of the Holy Spirit 
--Lord: Master/Giver/Provider; gifter of grace and apostleship, as to Paul, as to all who are called

Purpose: to bring glory to the name of Jesus; to bring obedience of faith among The  Church of the called.

Meditation: Joy is completed in the praise being offered through the obedience of the faithful; which is stirred to life in the heart awakened by the effectual call of Jesus Christ, our Lord, who gives to his people grace and teaching that we may better understand the enormity of who he is, through the study of his gospel which is proclaimed throughout the entirety of his holy scripture.

No comments:

Post a Comment