Friday, December 11, 2015

Submitted to the sovereign will

If yesterday's passage was intended to spark within me a renewed pursuit of joy that can only be found in deeper study of the word, today's might well be intended to remind me of the joy found in truth...

Romans 1:8-15 ESV
First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world. For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God's will I may now at last succeed in coming to you. For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you- that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith, both yours and mine. I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles. I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.

"My God"- personal relationship built upon Jesus Christ
God- whom I serve in the gospel of Jesus
God's will- perhaps to finally succeed in going to Rome, though has yet before been to prevent this journey... sovereign
Imparting spiritual gifts- mutual encouragement through the sharing of faith, both theirs and ours. Joy to be had in giving and receiving
Eager to preach- that a harvest may be reaped

Purpose/ meditation:
A spirit, surrendered to the sovereign will of God seeks, desires, and longs for the company of brothers, that through fellowship we may give and receive encouragement. A heart surrendered to this same sovereign will desires to seek joy through the proclamation of truth, through which faith is created, re-kindled, strengthened, and perfected in whosoever has ears to hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment